Ohio Historical Marker: Fort Seneca

In the 1820s a general store and grist mill were established on this site, where the famous Scioto-Sandusky Indian trail neared the Sandusky River. The settlement was first known as McNutt's, later as Swope's Corners. The village of Fort Seneca was surveyed January 14, 1836. Its name was derived from Gen. Harrison's War of 1812 fort, which was located a few miles downstream.

Copyright © 2020 Seneca Regional Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Services. All rights reserved.