149 Frost Parkway
Tiffin, OH 44883
The Civil War Monument, also known as the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, was dedicated on July 3, 1885. The monument is located on Frost Parkway on the site of the old Fort Ball and the village of Oakley. At first the monument was going to be placed on the courthouse lawn, but the majority voted to place it along Frost Parkway and Water Street. The base stone, which was made of Westerfield granite, was laid on May 8, 1885. The monument weighs up to 16 tons and 300 pounds.
Each face front has its own inscription:
The dedication honored both the Army and Navy who died fighting for Seneca County and their country. The Army and Navy were both represented in guarding the monument during the dedication in 1885.