The Fostoria Glass Heritage Gallery at 109 N. Main Street is a museum for the glass made in the 12 glass plants in Fostoria, Ohio during the period 1887 - 1920. They have welcomed over 32,000 guests representing all US states and over a dozen foreign countries since opening in 1992. There were 13 different glass companies in Fostoria, Ohio during the years 1887-1920.
During the boom years of 1887 through about 1892, there were around seven or eight plants operating in Fostoria at one time. The earliest plants were brought to Fostoria because of the large amounts of natural gas that had been discovered in the area. Because of Fostoria's five major railroads and access to free gas, investors found the city an ideal location to build glass plants. The investors and workers from West Virginia and Pennsylvania along with people from other glass areas abroad came to settle in Fostoria and while here, manufactured some of the most beautiful glass ever made in America.